So, I am really lagging behind on Christmas prep; but I figured I’d share just in case you are looking for a last-minute friend gift for your kids or even just a fun activity. We made four batches of the recipe below, 2 red and 2 white and layered them into 9 pint mason jars.
- 3 1/2-4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon cream of tarter (found with the spices on the baking isle)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 cups of water
- food coloring (1-2oz. bottle for red batch)
- 1-2oz. peppermint extract
1. Heat water to boiling in a medium saucepan.
2. Measure a generous 3 1/2 cups flour into a medium-large mixing bowl (one that holds at least 8 cups.) Reserve extra to add if the dough is too sticky. Mix in the salt and cream of tartar.
3. Once the water is boiling, whisk in the oil and food coloring. Remove from heat and add peppermint extract. Remember that it will smell strong now, but will be diluted greatly once mixed with the flour.
4. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour the water mixture in. Stir with a spoon until flour is incorporated, then turn it onto the counter or a cutting board and knead until smooth.
5. Layer each color in mason jar, pressing down gently (You don’t want to smash them together too much, so they are easy to separate and play with.)
6. Print tags below and attach with twine, yarn, or ribbon.
Here is a pdf: candy cane tag 2
Merry Christmas you guys! I wish you a quick finish on your projects and to get to bed before midnight on Saturday! Keers